Tuesday, February 21, 2012
I've just finished burning a 3.51GB DVD with 428 messages on from Ern Baxter.
All are freely available for download here: http://brokenbreadteaching.org/index.html
Friday, February 10, 2012
I've been re-reading some of my old books, and finding them very challenging. Even though they were written at different times for different generations they are still very poignant today. Arthur Wallis's book The Radical Christian is a case in point. Find a copy or dig out your old one and prepare to be challenged afresh.
- Without the Holy Spirit active in the church, or body, are we alive?
- Is it possible for a body of Spirit filled people to not be radical?
- Do we bend to His will, or expect Him to work within our structures?
- Is the Sunday gathering a completely predictable affair?
- When and if the Spirit challenges complacency, do we agree, say wasn't that a good word and then do nothing?
- In smaller gatherings (life group/house group) are we able to coast along without much interference?
- Do we really worship?
- Do we like happy praise songs, but the quieter worship songs drag on a bit?
- Is there a continuing stream of new growth in the body that stays?
- Why don't new people stay?
- How easy is it for people to come through the narrow gate?
- The prophetic word is nice on a Sunday, but would we miss it if it was gone?
- Are Tongues and the Prophetic about as much of the gifts of the Spirit we see or expect.
- We see where change should come but don't want to upset anyone?
- Do we look to natural methods or supernatural?
- Is good looking media more prevalent than Spirit life?
Wednesday, February 8, 2012
No disrespect intended with this post because of the funny picture, this is a genuinely shocking question:
Dr. Billy Graham once made a critical analysis of the Church systems in general and came to the conclusion that "The Holy Spirit could leave the church and it would go right on doing 90% of what it was doing; and NOT KNOW that the Holy Spirit had left."
So, it begs the question:
If the Holy Spirit was to leave your church, how much activity would just carry on?
Wednesday, February 1, 2012
I recently heard of this challenge Bryn Jones made to a group of Leaders.
Take 3 different highlighter pens.
Start at the beginning of the New Testament.
Highlight in different colours each time you find something written about:
- Who You Are In Christ
- What You have In Christ
- What You Can Do in Christ
Bryn said that one of the biggest challenges facing the Church is for Christians to find their identity in Christ, and this was a very practical and clever way to help find that identity.